Psalms: Soul Songs
Exploring love, temptation, fear and guilt from the Psalms
How often do you get the tune of a mindless song stuck in your head? It’s one way that Christians can end up thinking and wanting things just like the world around us. So God has given us a collection of songs that can help us re-tune our hearts to what He thinks and wants instead.
You may feel as if your soul is downcast or sick — troubled by worry, sin, suffering, fear or guilt. David, the Israelite king who wrote many of these songs, tells us that the Word of God revives the soul — it’s powerful stuff! And how to revive your soul is the theme of this selection. Mostly written by people rolling in trouble, they take us from the problems we face, and turn us back to God, the rock.
In these psalms you will find medicine for your soul. Learn to fear God instead of others, to trust Him in difficult times and to sing a new song to the God who saves.
- 1. A song for sleepless nights (Psalms 3 and 4)
- 2. A song for when sin seems good (Psalm 16)
- 3. A song for when we want to run away (Psalm 18)
- 4. A song for dark days (Psalm 23)
- 5. A song for when we are afraid (Psalm 27)
- 6. A song for secret guilt (Psalm 32)
- Leaders' Guide