From Paradise to the Promised Land
This text has been a popular introduction to the Pentateuch for over fifteen years, offering a unique alternative to the critical approaches that focus on the composition of these books rather than the actual content. With this new edition, T. Desmond Alexander keeps the book fresh and relevant for contemporary students by updating the references and adding material that reflects recent pentateuchal research as well as the author's maturing judgments. The result is a revision that will prove valuable for many years to come.
Part 1: Pentateuchal Criticism
1. Introduction to Pentateuchal Criticism
2. The Rise of the Documentary Hypothesis
3. Going behind the Documents
4. The Documentary Hypothesis under Threat
5. The Sinai Narrative--A Test Case
6. The Future of Pentateuchal Studies
Part 2: The Main Themes of the Pentateuch
7. An Overview of the Pentateuch
8. God's Temple-City
9. The Royal Lineage in Genesis
10. The Blessing of the Nations
11. Paradise Lost
12. By Faith Abraham . . .
13. Who Is the LORD?
14. The Passover
15. The Covenant at Sinai
16. The Tabernacle
17. Be Holy
18. The Sacrificial System
19. The Clean and the Unclean Foods
20. Toward the Promised Land
22. Love and Loyalty
23. Why Israel?
24. The Pentateuch and the Biblical Metanarrative
Recommended Further Reading
We Also Recommend
Exploring the Old Testament: Volume 2 - The Histories
Sale price £1350 £13.50
Exploring the Old Testament: Volume 3 - The Psalms and Wisdom Literature
Sale price £1250 £12.50