The Beauty and Glory of Christ's Bride
This collection of a dozen addresses given on the church as Christ’s bride at the 2014 Annual Conference of Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary unpacks three overarching themes: looking at the loveliness of Christ’s bride, walking in the path with Christ’s bride, and sharing in the sorrow and hope of Christ’s bride. Specific topics addressed include the beauty of the church’s essence, communion, holiness, unity, diversity, membership, preaching, worship, sacraments, discipline, mission, persecution, and future glory.
Together these chapters form an appreciative and practical book on the doctrine of the church, stirring up believers to have greater devotion to Christ’s bride. Two chapters are written by each author, including Michael Barrett, Joel R. Beeke, Gerald Bilkes, Conrad Mbewe, David Murray, and William VanDoodewaard.
Table of Contents:
Looking at the Loveliness of the Bride of Christ
1. Our Devotion to Christ’s Bride—Conrad Mbewe
2. The Bride’s Spiritual Essence and Communion in the Body of Christ—Gerald Bilkes
3. The Healthy Holiness of Christ’s Bride—Michael Barrett
4. The Unity and Diversity of Christ’s Beautiful Bride—David Murray
Walking in the Path with the Bride of Christ
5. The Beauty of Church Membership—Joel R. Beeke
6. Preaching to and Shepherding Christ’s Bride—Michael Barrett
7. The Beautiful, Biblical Worship of Christ’s Bride: A Puritan View—Joel R. Beeke
8. The Beautiful Sacraments of Christ’s Bride—Gerald Bilkes
9. The Bride’s Beautiful Discipline—David Murray
10. The Mission of Christ’s Bride—William VanDoodewaard
Sharing in the Sorrow and Hope of the Bride of Christ
11. The Persecution of Christ’s Bride—William VanDoodewaard
12. Christ’s Bride United with Her Bridegroom in Glory—Conrad Mbewe
Joel R. Beeke (PhD, Westminster Seminary) is president and professor of systematic theology and homiletics at Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary; a pastor of the Heritage Reformed Congregation in Grand Rapids, Michigan; editor of Banner of Sovereign Grace Truth; editorial director of Reformation Heritage Books; and a prolific author.